California recently passed a bill preventing employers from inquiring about salary history. Did you know there are other jurisdictions with laws about confirming salary history?
An article in the Milwaukee Business Journal highlights other states and municipalities who have enacted similar laws prohibiting employer inquiries into job applicants’ salary histories:
· Delaware (effective Dec. 14, 2017)
· Massachusetts (effective July 1, 2018)
· Oregon (became effective Oct. 6, 2017)
· New Orleans (became effective Jan. 25, 2017)
· New York City (effective Oct. 31, 2017)
· San Francisco (effective July 1, 2018)
Steps employers should take
Review and revise employment applications to remove any questions that may ask an applicant to provide his or her previous or current salary or benefits.
Train their human resources and other interview team personnel to ensure that they will not ask questions about an applicant’s salary history during the application and interview process.