Special Update: Worker Compensation Insurers May Offer a Premium Discount for Employers with Certain Alcohol- and Drug-Free Workplace Policies
Under a new law in Maryland, a workers’ compensation insurer may file a rating plan that provides for a premium discount for appropriate classifications (or sub-classifications) of a risk of up to 4% to an insured employer that has an alcohol- and drug-free workplace policy that may include one or more of the following programs:
- An alcohol and drug testing program;
- An employee education program on alcohol and drug abuse;
- A supervisor education program on alcohol and drug abuse;
- An employee assistance program that includes referrals of employees for appropriate diagnosis, treatment, and assistance;
- A program requiring an employee who has caused or contributed to an accident while at work to undergo alcohol or drug testing; and
- Any other program that the insurer deems effective to encourage an alcohol- and drug-free workplace.
In a previous blog we present evidence that a drug testing program can have up to a Return on Investment of 14 to 1. And in this blog post we present two reasons why drug testing just flat out works.
So, even if you are not operating in the state of Maryland, many other states offer insureds discounts on worker compensation programs if you have an alcohol and drug free workplace policy.
If you have questions do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 410.494.0232.